Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Interesting Times

lib•er•al
  1. favourable to progress or reform, as in political or religious affairs.
  2. favourable to or in accord with concepts of maximum individual freedom possible, esp. as guaranteed by law and secured by governmental protection of civil liberties.
  3. of or pertaining to representational forms of government rather than aristocracies and monarchies.
  4. free from prejudice or bigotry; tolerant: a liberal attitude toward foreigners.
  5. open-minded or tolerant, esp. free of or not bound by traditional or conventional ideas, values, etc.
con•serv•a•tive
  1. disposed to preserve existing conditions, institutions, etc., or to restore traditional ones, and to limit change.
  2. traditional in style or manner; avoiding novelty or showiness
  3. having the power or tendency to conserve.
I’ve been watching this year’s British election with much interest. I confess, I have voted in previous elections without really understanding the various manifestos. I think that my fiancé has been one of the forces behind me exploring what I actually do believe in, and lining that up with what the parties say.
Now, I’m not going to go all partisan on you; who I voted for is my business.

I stayed up on election night to watch the exit polls and early results. Like most people watching, I disbelieved the exit polls – the Lib Dems couldn’t have done that badly surely? So, when I got up the following morning and saw that the exit polls were pretty accurate, I was surprised. I was also convinced that there would be a Liberal – Labour deal; a Liberal – Conservative deal was just too unrealistic. Then it happened; Dave and Nick agreed to form a coalition.

We are now entering a new type of politics, which is a Good Thing. If this works, if it provides stable and productive government, it will be very exciting.

Though I confess, Oliver Letwin and George Osbourne worry me. Very Much.


Welcome to Lib-Con, please remember to wear your ID (wait, no – that’s being scrapped) and don’t forget to pack your nuclear protective gear (you’ll still need that, we’re keeping Trident – the minty nuclear deterrent)

No comments: