Saturday, February 18, 2006

Chip and Pin

I am shocked.
No, actually, the furure over this on changeover day is to be expected if there's no other major news.
We have had about a year to get used to the idea of paying using chip-and-pin rather than signing. Yet on the 13th we were predicted chaos! How are people supposed to remember their pin?
Frankly, those same people call them "PIN Numbers" which is plain wrong.
Can't remember your pin? Change it to something you can remember! Ok, probably not something obvious, but then... Does it matter if I use my birthday if the thief of my card does not know me - how will they know my birthday? I would hope that the people who do know my birthday might not steal my card!
Then the whole thing is made worse by card-cloning at ATMs.
Oh well, at least I'm covered against mis-use of my card. I took up the cover about three years ago when someone used my details to pay their Sky TV Bill and their Gas Bill. Moron! If you're going to use someone else's details, you don't pay for things like that - traceable things! It was good for me, because I managed to get all the money back with no penalties. The Bank were really good about it too.

No comments: