Sunday, September 16, 2012

Upcycled Pinboard

I'm in the middle of re-decorating my kitchen.
We had an old pin-board, which I wanted to use in the kitchen but which really wasn't going to work in the new room.

See, it's just a basic pinboard. Dull, and a bit manky looking in places.
So what did I do?
I re-painted, quilted and covered it, and ended up with this:
It looks even more fab than this in person!
Here's what I did:
  1. Sand down the wood frame and mask it
  2. Undercoat the wood frame
  3. Paint the wood frame (2 coats)
  4. Make a cardboard frame to fit just inside the wood frame
  5. Cut out quilt batting to fit inside the wood frame, and a piece of fabric about half an inch wider all around than the cardboard frame
  6. Place the fabric face down on the desk
  7. Place the quilt batting on top
  8. And the cardboard frame on top of that
  9. Using a hot glue gun, fold the fabric around the edges of the cardboard frame - you'll end up with a padded square of fabric
  10. Place the padded fabric square into the frame and attach using a staple gun
Simple, huh?

No comments: