Monday, February 19, 2007

...like a wet weekend

So, today I am back at work after a much needed holiday. So much needed, in fact, that I was down with a heavy cold for two days before my holiday, and I have to be really sick before I take time off.

The weather seems to be in the same mood as I am, it was really nice for almost all of the holiday, but now it is misty and looking like it's going to rain.

Indeed, it seems that much has happened during my week off, and though I needn’t go into detail, things are changing at work again. I wish that I liked my job, but I can't quite place what it is about it that I dislike so much.
Part of the problem is that I find the financial services sector to be unscrupulous. Although I appreciate the need to be profit driven, I find it disheartening that basically money is made from people being afraid. To some degree the adverts are billed in this way too. "If you were to die, how would your loved ones cope with the financial burden?"
The other part of the problem is that my job does not require me to produce anything tangible, or any visible service to anyone. Nobody is better off as a result of the work that I do. I do not improve the quality of anyone's life.
Now, to many people this will not sound much like me. I am very much re-evaluating my standards at the moment. This was partly triggered by the goat centre that L and I visited on our holiday, but it's been something that has been playing on my mind for some time.

I guess we’ll see how things go. I'm not sure that I’m brave enough to go for a complete change of career.
Yet.

No comments: