Wednesday, May 09, 2012

End of Nerd Wars Tournament Four

So it’s the end of tournament four for Nerd Wars and I’ve had a blast. I’ve made some cool things, I’ve chatted to some cool folks, and I think I’ve made some new (online at least) friends. So first, achievement news:
As I completed 6/6 challenges in round 1MeltinT4R1
And in round 2MeltinT4R2
And in round 3MeltinT4R3
I get this funky special badge for completing 18/18 challenges in the tournament18d_T4

Since the end of the tournament I’ve been watching some movies: the Avengers and Cabin in the Woods. These are both Joss Whedon films, and both star Chris Hemsworth in major roles.

The Avengers is a brilliant movie, I loved it. Plenty of action, drama and suspense; I enjoyed the humour and the interaction between the characters, the dynamic was excellent. Robert Downey Jr was excellent as Iron Man once more, Chris Evans’ Captain tightpants America was both lush and lovable, Chris Hemsworth was Godly as Thor, and Mark Ruffalo’s Bruce Banner/Hulk was both believable and unbelievable! Even the evil Loki played by Tom Hiddleston was fantastic, and the lesser but important Black Widow, Hawkeye and Nick Fury were great too.
In fact, the only downside of the movie is that now I have to wait for it to appear on BluRay before I can watch it and all the extras. Oh well, I know what’s going on my Christmas list!

Cabin in the Woods is, in a word, Weird. It starts out in a teen-holiday mood, and ends up; well, I wouldn’t want to spoil it for you. It’s vintage Joss at his best, with some good gore and jumps thrown in for good measure.
My main issue with this was that it wasn’t really that scary. It was horrific, but it was also predictable to a degree. In places it almost felt like a parody because of that. On the whole, though, it was a good movie.

What else have I been doing? Well, I’ve killed some courgettes by planting them out the day before we had a frost. That was a shame. I do have a couple more courgette plants though, so all should be well. I’m still sprouting seedlings on my windowsill, so I’m hopeful that I’ll have some more nice veggies to come. And some chilli peppers!

I’ve been continuing with my re-knit of the “Klingon Sweater”. I’m expecting the weather to turn on the day that I cast it off; we’ll have record temperatures and a heat wave. It’s chunky weight you see. I’m also plotting what I might knit for the next tournament of Nerd Wars. I’m switching teams for the next round, though I have to wait for the team roster to be announced. All being well, I’ll be playing on team Hellmouth for three months.
Then I plan to go back to Enterprise/Space Alliance (whichever is there for T6) to coincide with Star Trek London! (more on that in future posts I’m sure.)

No comments: