Monday, May 21, 2012

Klingon Sweater

Last post I said
“I’ve been continuing with my re-knit of the “Klingon Sweater”. I’m expecting the weather to turn on the day that I cast it off; we’ll have record temperatures and a heat wave.”
Well, the forecast for the rest of the week is glorious sunshine and much warmer! Typical; as I have just finished weaving in the ends for my Klingon Sweater.

 Klingon vest - front

Pattern: Uffington by Jeni Hewlett, from the Fyberspates Scrumptious Collection volume 1.
Yarn: Rowan RYC Cashsoft Chunky
Needle: 5mm and 6mm
Modifications: Where to start?
  1. I knitted it in the round rather than flat; chunky wool doesn’t need chunky seams.
  2. I knitted double the length of ribbing specified
  3. I decreased for the hip, but then did not re-increase, thus extending the waist section and allowing negative ease to replace the bust shaping.
  4. Instead of casting off at the shoulders I worked them as short rows, which I then grafted closed
  5. Instead of always k3tog on the corners of the neckband, I did paired matching decreases for a neater corner
  6. Because of not increasing for the bust I have much narrower shoulder straps, allowing me to extend the length of the rib for the arms.
Verdict: I’m really pleased with it now. It looks great on and fits me well.

Klingon vest - rear

This now means that I’m working on the baby pattern I designed and had tested. I just need to finish the ribbing on the neck and that will be ready for photographing and then I can make the pattern available!

I’ve already started churning some ideas for the next round of Nerd Wars, which starts in 12 days (not that I’m counting!) and teams will be announced on Friday, I believe. I’m planning on having another stab at a dissertation, though at the moment all the projects I want to make are big-ish, and I need to try to remember that I’m on holiday quite a lot over the next few months!

My fun-task for the weekend was to sort out the rest of my clothes. I already got rid of some trousers and shoes, but I wanted to go through all the holiday clothes and work clothes. I now only have clothes that fit me hanging in my wardrobe, and I also know that I have a good selection of clothes to choose from for my holiday. Woo!

No comments: