Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Christmas is coming!

I’ve begun bribing myself in order to complete my Christmas knitting. Never again will I fall into the trap of knitting three identical items for different people (in different colours, but still…). In fairness, this third one is coming out fantastically, even though I buggered up the edge made an interesting pattern change for the first pattern repeat. It actually looks pretty nice, so I’m keeping it and I’ll do the same on the last repeat too so that it’s identical.
I showed mum what I’ve knit for dad. She seemed, not impressed but pleased. I know that she’ll love her knitted gift(s?). Yes, even now I’m adding more things to the list of things to knit before Christmas creeps up on me. I’ve worked out that one pattern repeat on the item I’m knitting for the third time takes me approximately 16 minutes. I need 55 pattern repeats (at least) to complete the item (you knitters will know what this is!) and I have done three. So, I need to do 52 more pattern repeats at a shade over a quarter of an hour each. That’s 13.86 hours (I’ll round up to 14 to allow for weaving in ends and un-knitting and re-knitting etc.) so, I need 14 hours to complete this item. I will knit this evening for at least 2, possibly 3 hours, but let’s say an average of 2 hours to err on the side of caution. That means I need a week to complete the item (just that item mind you). I can do that. The trouble is that I timed myself while sitting in bed concentrating on the knitting. Not while I was watching CSI. This could be a different matter.
I also have the second of two very similar items to complete in crochet. That’s much nearer to being finished now that I’ve sorted out the yarn issues. It’s looking (as does it’s sibling [hint for ravellers]) pretty nice now. I miscalculated the yarn requirements for these so had to order extra, which is difficult when a yarn is discontinued!
But, I was telling you about me bribing myself. Yes, so I set myself a target (based on the number of 15 minutes there are before 10:45) to knit a number of repeats on the item I mentioned. Once I have completed that number of repeats I can knit two rounds on the gypsy socks (which are for me). This has many benefits for me.
I have an aim, knit this much before you stop.
I have a reward, pretty sock yarn and teensy needles, allows finger flexing after all this on 5.5s
Okay, that’s just two (or three, if you count the second one as two) benefits, but they say a change is as good as a holiday, so…

I’ve decided that I need some flip-flop socks. Okay, maybe need is a bit of a strong word. If I’m wearing flip-flops it’s usually because I’m on the beach or by the pool. (probably should replace “the” with “a” there, since I have neither a local beach nor do I wear flip-flops to the swimming baths, only to pools on holidays). I just like the idea really. I’d love to knit toe-socks like the ones my sister buys sometimes (each toe has it’s own little section, like gloves compare to mittens, toe-socks compare to socks, sorta). I dunno. I should work out whether I have enough yarn left in my half-ball of Opal Feelings to do anything of use.

The OH is off on a course right now, so I’m on my own in the house (except for Aston, who may make an appearance on the blog when I clean him out). I’ve remembered to eat and stuff, I’ve been going to bed at a sensible time (not like last time he was away when I stayed up until 3am or something playing games online!) and I might even do some washing up and take out the compost!

After having flowers in the house (thanks again Jimbob) I decided that I liked it, and so I’ve bought myself a (cheap) bunch of flowers. These ones are pink and purple. The purple ones almost match the bathroom towels! I’ve put five-or-six in the bathroom vase (though I’m worried about the water level) and the rest are on the mantel. I have photos; they’ll be on Flickr eventually. (As will the Christmas Party photos, promise!)

Roll on holiday time! I’m really looking forwards to getting away for Christmas. It has been a hectic year; we haven’t managed to go on any “get away from it” breaks. Florida, as fantastic as it was, was not relaxing. However, Christmas at the GMIL’s will be relaxed. I’ll have lots of time to knit (though all the knitted gifts should be complete by then, there is a chance of end-weaving) and we’ll go for walks in the woods there (note to self: take walking boots). This year (touch wood) I don’t have a cold, which I have had the last twice we’ve been. I am actually well! Woo! I’m going to recommend that we see “The Golden Compass” as our holiday movie. We do have a few gifts left to buy, which is beginning to stress me out as we’re getting a bit close for postage, then you have to go to the shops and it’s always more expensive there.
I’ve been very restrained and not looked at my own Amazon wish-list for some time. This is because you can see if someone’s bought something for you and I don’t want to ruin the surprise! I already know about one or two of my prezzies, and so I want to keep the rest secret!

Anyway, I should be doing other things than this. {sigh} Maybe one day I’ll have a job that’s so interesting that I don’t get way-laid with other things. Maybe.

1 comment:

Dianne said...

Oooo, yes, please post pictures of little Aston. Good luck with the Christmas knitting. I'd like to get three pair of socks completed before Christmas, but realistically, there is just no way. Oh, well.