Wednesday, August 20, 2008

SP12 – Q' of the week! (4 and 11 Aug 2008)

w/c 04/08
Have you ever entered your knitting (or anything else) in the fair? Would you ever consider it?
I’m sure that at some point I have been entered into some kind of dancing show at a fair – in fact I’m pretty sure that my dancing troupe performed at some kind of farming-based show when I was younger.
However, I’ve never baked cakes, made jam or knitted anything for a fair. Perhaps one day the great Yorkshire and Lincolnshire (or wherever I live by then) shows will have these sorts of events one day, then I would probably enter – if only to support the craft!

w/c 11/08
What Olympic event would best describe your knitting/knitting style?

I always have lots on the go at once, so I guess I’m a decathalon-style knitter. Also, like the athletes who compete for the multi-discipline medals, I am not the best at any one thing, but I am a pretty good all-rounder. I even crochet*!
I actually entered the sock-putt for the Ravelympics, but I think I may not finish. I’m that putter who has made it to the event but who drops the shot on their foot. Ho hum.

* I actually enjoy crafts generally, I’ve only come across one craft which I don’t find thoroughly enjoyable and that is cross-stitch. Don’t get me wrong, I like the end results! I just don’t have the patience when doing something like that. Perhaps my mistake was choosing a big cross stitch to begin with. Maybe I should have picked a bookmark or greetings card size instead of the one I have which is a foot wide.
Otherwise, I have begun my first quilting project (it has chickens on). It’s been on hold with the curtains needing to be made and with the move into the craft room.
I have also taken up spinning (as you may already know) – photos of the nice spinning stuff to come eventually too. I find spinning very satisfying. It’s pretty relaxing too, although too much spinning results in arm-ache.
I’ve got some yarn to dye too, but I’m waiting on something to dye it with. A lovely lady in the US is sending me some Kool-Aid to have a stab at Kool-Aid dying. I might have a go at food colouring dye too. I figure I should begin with the stuff that can’t kill me or make me ill!
I also have stacks of stuff for making greetings cards with. That’s pretty fun, and although I think the initial outlay is quite high, now we can make a card for most occasions at the drop of a hat!
I’m also interested in learning how to make jewellery, not least so that I can have a stab at making stitch markers. I’ve spotted some “make your own soap” and “make your own candles” things on e-bay which I find intriguing too.
How cool would it be to make soap, make a washcloth and then make a packet for it, all using your own skills? Brilliant.

No comments: