Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Lest We Forget

I know that the web is awash with this sort of blog post, but I am compelled to post anyway.
I am always touched by the stories which are told on Remembrance day. Stories of heroism, bravery, sadness and loss. I have done some little research into my family history, and know that members of my family fought in both World Wars. I was a child when British Troops went to the Falklands. British Troops still fight in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Armistice Day, or Remembrance Day, is not just a day to remember those brave men and women who gave their lives so that we could live free in the Wars at the beginning of the 20th Century. It is also not just a day to remember those who have died or been wounded in wars since. It is also a day to reflect on the reasons that these wars were (and are) fought. Whether you agree with the war in Iraq now doesn't change the fact that young men and women are fighting there for freedom.


I leave you with two verses from a poem... (full version here)

For The Fallen
They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted;
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years contemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
-- Laurence Binyon

No comments: