Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Calming Influence

As I have mentioned more than once, I have been going jogging quite regularly. This is an excellent cardiovascular exercise, although it is a little hard on the joints! I have been trying to do some strength training as well as the jogging, but I have been finding it difficult, especially to do on the same day as a run.
As you know, last weekend we tidied the lounge. There is floor space. There is, in fact, enough floor space for one of our camping roll-mats. Another use for such a mat is to do yoga. So, I dug out my yoga DVD while Leon was out driving on Monday night. It takes about an hour, including the warm-up and warm-down. It was quite pleasant, and more challenging than I expected, but not so challenging that I couldn’t finish it.
Last night Leon wanted to do weights and I didn’t fancy going out in the cold and windy nastiness that was the weather (okay, it could have been worse…) so I decided to do another hour of yoga instead. This was an excellent plan, with only one minor flaw. The minor flaw was that during the “relaxation and cool down” where you should be almost meditating, Leon had finished his weights and came downstairs and proceeded to make more noise than your average brass band, in the kitchen. Very distracting. Otherwise, it was a very pleasant, but again taxing, hour. I ache slightly in some of the muscles that are used during yoga, but that can only be a good thing as it shows that I am working those muscles. I may try to do yoga on the days I am not running. This should mean that I improve my core strength, balance and posture (and maybe even my state of mind!)

No comments: