Sunday, July 31, 2011

Fibre East, Ysolda and such like

Well, the last few weekends have been amazing! I've done lots of crafty things and now I'm finally getting around to sharing them with you...

So, lets start with some knitting. After I finished the tam, I decided that I needed to do something with all the yarn I still had. After a false start on a feather and fan pattern I was trying to make up, I created these simple mittens. I've done a raglan thumb for ease of knitting.

Handspun mittens

There is even still a little yarn left! I'm thinking about making some flowers or something with it. Any ideas?

Leftover handspun

Well, my dear mum saw the hat I made and she liked it so much that she asked me to make her one! So, I took some yarn I dyed myself (with natural plant dyes, no less) and set about making another one.

Naturally Dyed

and here it is:

Mum's hat

I made it exactly like the hand-spun version, same mods and everything. :)

Well, that's about all the knitting I've done lately. Well - that's finished anyway!

The weekend before last was very wet, but that didn't stop us from visiting the Bishop Wilton Show. There were some lovely exhibits in the craft part of the show, though not many - I think people were put off by the weather. However, we'll go again next year!
The Sunday saw the Malton show, an altogether larger event. The exhibits at this show were also of a very high standard. (I'm thinking about entering something myself next year!) I especially enjoyed walking around the chicken, duck and rabbit section. While we were wandering round, I cam across a man who makes crochet hooks, and I couldn't resist this one

jumbo crochet hook

It's in excess of 10mm, and will be great for some rugs I want to crochet out of old fabric scraps.


Last weekend was Fibre East. It's a small festival in Thurleigh, Bedfordshire. I love fibre festivals! This was on the smaller side, but no less exciting. We knew it was going to be a good day when we started with a very nice cuppa and Hubby had a bacon butty. I wandered around for a while and oogled lots of nice things. I did pick up a long cable for moebius and some 3mm tips for the Fyberspates Lace.

I also bought this lovely thick 4ply Shetland. It's so soft and yet sturdy. Love the colour too! The chap said it would take dye well, but I think it's nice as it is.

Shetland 4ply

I stopped by Woodland Turnery and picked up this rather nice inch gauge (that's for working out the WPI or Wraps Per Inch of a yarn)

Inch Gauge

And this mini niddy noddy, which is shown here with my standard sized Ashford niddy noddy.

Mini niddy noddy

I ummed and aahed about my last purchase, mostly because I already have over 1000g of alpaca fibre which is to be spun.
But the colour was so nice! It's rose-grey, which is a kind of pinkish tinged grey, though I have a bit of brown and a bit of white in the bag too...

Bag of Alpaca

Now all I have to do is spin it, and make it into something nice!

Well, last but not least...
On Friday Ysolda Teague visited York.
I went along to try on some of the samples from her new book Little Red in the City and to get my own signed copy. (woot!)

I even managed to get a photo with her, which was nice!

Ysolda's visit

Ysolda was really lovely, just as you'd expect from reading her blog.
I almost bought a sweater-worth of yarn too, but it turned out that there were only 4 balls of the colour I fancied. Shame, but probably for the best. I'll have to use some of the yarn I already have!

No comments: