Monday, April 24, 2006

War of the Worlds

So, on Sunday we went to see War of the Worlds, the Musical, Live.
It was absolutely fantastic from beginning to end! Justin Hayward still has a fantastic voice, and he didn’t do anything crazy to any of the songs. Russell Watson beat my expectations, and made the part of Nathaniel his own. I would gladly have a new version of the album with him on. (I always forget the name of the other guy anyway). The fellow who was the Artilleryman (Alexis James, so the website tells me) was so enthusiastic and really gave the part lots of energy! I liked that very much too. The graphics on screen were excellent too! Lots of combinations of stills, drawings, actors and real Victorian footage. The “Richard Burton in sound and vision” was, frankly, scary! A giant head! I guess it must have looked pretty cool from the back though. There were some great performances from the guitarists (there were four players, but more guitars) and I counted at least 33 violin and violas! Plus eight cellos and a harp! Brilliant. Geoff Wayne looked like he was thoroughly enjoying himself. We were lucky, too, because Russell Watson had dropped out of the Birmingham show with a knee injury.
I also took my first ever trip on a tram in Manchester (or anywhere for that matter!) which was fun. And on the way back we took the tram all the way to the station, which saved walking through Manchester in the middle of the night!
Overall, excellent!

No comments: