Thursday, July 27, 2006

A New Aim (or two)

Leon and I have an “important documents” folder where we keep all of our bank statements, wage slips, insurance documents and similar. This is excellent because we need to have this information. We get much less paper because we get our bank statements online only now, but we still seem to have reams of the stuff! So, I have added a new aim to my list: sort out our filing system so that it isn’t in one overfull folder.
I don’t know how I am going to do this yet. Leon and I are not really very tidy people. I get post from various places and it all gets dumped on the table until we have a massive clear out, then the cycle begins again. Then, when the folder is full we get rid of the bits from last year, and begin again, again.
I think that a system similar to the one my mum uses might work. She has a min filing cabinet, in which there is a drawer for “house” (ie mortgage and insurance) “car” (tax, insurance, mot, paper licences) “Children” (my and my sister’s student loan docs etc, til she passes them on to us) “bank” and “other”. The system works well for mum because she is good at that sort of thing, and is also quite tidy. I think that we need somewhere to keep the more permanent things (like paper driving licences, mortgage documents etc) and somewhere else for things like bills. A proper folio with dividers and he like would be useful there, but I don’t know how well that would work either! We already have a “house” file, which is an A4 file cram packed with house related stuff, copies of the contracts etc. I know we will not dare to get rid of any of that, so we’d better find a proper home for it all!

Oh, before I forget – I’m also trying to be nicer to everyone at work because some people seem to be scared of me. It seems to stem mostly from people not being able to tell when I am joking or being sarcastic. Also it seems I can seem quite angry some of the time. So I’ve been trying to be nicer. This endeavour includes: saying “hello” in a cheerful voice, regardless of how irritated I am with the world, smiling more, keeping an eye on people’s reactions and if they seem worried, smiling and letting them know that I’m joking or teasing or whatever.

2 comments:

Jimbobjo said...

Lots of people at work are scared of me too, but that's just because they don;t know me properly yet.

Bertworld said...

Jimbobjo thats cos you are scary ... only kidding :-)