Thursday, July 13, 2006

To Be or Not To Be...

...is actually not the question. The question is:
Why do I complain about my job and then not apply for new ones?
The answer, I think, is rather multifaceted.
  1. I am good at what I do (no matter what some people might imply) and I enjoy large parts of my work.
  2. I doubt that things are better elsewhere
  3. I'd have to meet a whole new bunch of people
    • They might not like me
    • I might not like them
  4. The new office might have cubicles (this might be better…)
  5. It might take more than 15 minutes to get to work in the morning
Okay, so a lot of those are rubbish reasons not to go and get myself a better paying, more enjoyable job. However, another constraint is that I would really rather like to stay in York. If I can not stay in York, there are a limited number of other cities I would be happy to inhabit. One of these is Cambridge. The obvious drawback of Cambridge (aside from the students, and frankly at least these are intelligent students) is that it is a bit close to Leon's parents. Now don't get me wrong – I like Leon's family. My Mum would be upset though. My sister lives much closer to her boyfriend's parents too. Ah, I know I must not let that stop me…
There's also the fact that Leon already has friends down there. I do not. At least coming to York we had the same disadvantage of not knowing anyone. This said, it seems I am okay at meeting new people, but Leon is shy.
Umm – Ah – Umm.
(That was me, umming and ahing.)
Well, so now that I have surmised that there is no real reason for me not to go for another job, we’re back to the original question.
Not wanting to leave York could be quite a hurdle though. We will have to see.

No comments: