Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Our Boys (again)

We have now begun the slow process of taming our boys. This involved spending quite a long time with one hand in their cage, waiting for them to come and investigate.
They did not seem to be at all traumatised by this, and pretty much ignored us. My guess is that the treats aren’t that great. Anyway, they didn’t seem too worried when we stroked them either. They are very fast though, so we’re going to have to be careful when we do start handling them!
I am slightly concerned that they don’t seem to have eaten (or indeed hoarded) much of their food. Though they are still quite tiny and so probably eat very little. I am also not sure whether or not they are drinking at all. Either way, we’ll be changing the water and food tonight. I aim to change the water every day, and to wash the food bowl quite regularly (depending on how much mess they make!
We’ve also ordered a new wheel for them. It’s a “silent” wheel, apparently. Who knows whether that’s true, but it is designed for Dwarf Hamsters and Mice.
I love all the little toys and things that you can get for hamsters! There are see-saws and swings, sleeping bags and camping sets (I kid not) as well as a variety of chewy things for them to gnaw on and useful things like houses to sleep in and bags of multi-coloured bedding. I don’t know whether hamsters can see colours or not, but I hope to keep the cage matching with its equipment!
I’m sure I will eventually shut up about our new boys, but probably not for a while.

No comments: