Friday, April 11, 2008

Lift like a man, look like a goddess?

I went to the new gym last night for a look around. It looks, somewhat unsurprisingly, like a gym. Really though, it’s quite nice. The pool is a sensible size (20m) and there are lots of each kind of equipment. The yoga and fitness studios were both nice, and there’s a boxing area where they intend to do boxercise at some point. They couldn’t give us a program (or a log on number for the system) last night though. I’d like to think that there’s a better reason for that than that they are disorganised – we have been signed up for about 6 weeks, but they’re only now inputting the numbers? Hmm. In any case, this means that I get to make up my own program to begin with. They will automatically give us a basic program (ahaha) which I plan to ignore and do my “lift like a man, look like a goddess” (it really says that on the book) program. Woo! Honestly though, I love the concept: step away from the treadmill!

Last night I spent a couple of moments reviewing my stash, and finally got round to frogging the scarf that never was. Now I have almost two full balls of Louisa Harding Kimono Angora (Rav Link). I don’t know what to do with it. It knits at DK weight, so I had a go with the experimental search on Ravelry to see what it suggested. There are lots of scarves, some socks, hats and lots of baby things. It was being a scarf before but I wasn’t feeling it. frankly I don’t like knitting scarves because they take so long and they’re repetitive! I might be tempted with a lace one, at least that would lend some interest, and might get my lace mojo going for Muir (Rav: Muir, Muir Along) but we will see. I really want to make it into something that I will be able to wear because it’s such lovely stuff! I quite like the look of the top non-sock non-baby pattern: Branching Out from Knitty.com which looks so pretty. And I think I probably have the tools required.

I’ve been knitting the socks for my OH again at lunchtimes. I am afraid that I don’t think that the cables are going to match up entirely. Because I have the attention span of a five year old crammed full of smarties, I keep forgetting to cable, Still, if anyone (other than another knitter) is crazy enough to get down on their hands and knees and check to see if I cabled both socks at exactly the same time then that’s their problem not mine. OH doesn’t mind. He’s happy with one sock, but I think you need a pair to get the full enjoyment out of them!
And I am so pleased with the long-tail/thumb cast on. It’s stretchy enough and it looks nice too. It’s a lot better than the knitted cast-on, IMHO. I might use it for everything from now on! Though when casting on a large number of stitches it might not be recommended. I might have to learn another new cast on then.

In other news, the PTH is coming again soon, so we’re off to buy some material to make costumes tomorrow. Our theme is so cool. I’ll let you guess what the theme is when you see the costume(s) though.

No comments: