Thursday, April 17, 2008

Persimmon homes can not spell

I was on the bus on the way back into town from our other offices. I was idly reading the signs on a new housing development. They advertise the mortgage offers that Persimmon homes is offering on these houses and flats, such as a 120% mortgage.
On of the signs reads thus:
Mortgage Sudsidy available.
I had to look twice, but it really says that. Now, I’m sometimes willing to give people the benefit of the doubt, so when I got back to my desk I went to dictionary.com and looked up sudsidy - it’s not a real word according to them (and according to me, too). It offered a close word: sudsed (to make something soapy, or slang for beer) or subsidy (which I suspect is what they really meant, meaning “a grant or contribution of money” {one of the four definitions}).

I can’t be the only person to have noticed this. What I want to know is:
If the person writing the request for the signs didn’t notice when they ordered, the sign maker didn’t notice (or didn’t care to point it out) and then when they put the sign up those people didn’t notice either, then why isn't someone paid to check this?
I feel I would be poking my nose in to go to their marketing suite and tell them, but I would guess that nobody else has told them because the sign is still there!

I wish I'd taken a photo of it...

[Edit to add: someone on Ravelry has suggested that the implication is that the Mortgage company will take you to the cleaners... made me laugh anyway]

No comments: