Monday, April 21, 2008

Things change and things stay the same.

I recently “friended” an old school friend on Facebook. I think I knew her until about 11 years old, so it’s been a while. Funny how people still look the same, isn’t it? You know, they do look different, but not.

I wonder how much of the me that was then is still the me that is now.

I still like animals, making things and messing around with computers. I’d still rather sit inside with a book than run around on a field. I still have a love/hate relationship with my hair and I’m still paranoid about the size of my rear. I still like to sing, and I’m still out of tune. I still enjoy dancing.
There are things that have changed too. Whether for the better or not I am not sure.

I look in the mirror and still see myself. I look at those photos and still see myself (well, except the one where I’m not sure it’s me) just younger, and perhaps a little more of an optimist. Or not, after all: “What’s the point if I’m not going to win” – a sentiment I fist expressed at about 7, and still find hard to ignore today. The meaning of “to win” can change though, and that’s the bit I have to work on. Sometimes you only have to beat your own goals.

Okay, back onto the up-beat side of the blog. I’ve been hurridly knitting some bootees for the new baby (not mine) to go with the card I’m sending. Photos to come, probably. Easy knit, even when hung over.
Oh yes – here’s a tip. White wine, then gin, then red wine, then sambuca (sp?), then more gin – don’t try it.

No comments: