Friday, May 18, 2007

Bother

Last night, I was minding my own business surfing myspace and facebook when the screen went black and the computer started making a funny noise. I turned it off and on again, the screen remained blank and the noise persisted. So I turned it off and went to bed feeling slightly guilty.

So, this morning I asked Leon to turn on the PC and have a listen to see what he thought was wrong with it. Leon turned it on and it went and made the same odd noise as before. Then it went “bang”. It smelled of burning. I think it is now dead. It has lasted a long time (I got it in 2002 to use for my degree course) and was well due for replacement. I am slightly sad that it’s dead, it’s like losing an old friend!

So, we’re in the market for a new PC. I have been trying to decide what to do with the overtime pay I’ll be getting this month for the extra work I did in December and January. (It’s a long story) and now the decision is pretty much made for me.

It does put a bit of a damper on the car search too, because we don’t really have any spare money even without having to buy a new PC. You see I was planning on spending the money on either
  1. a new mattress
  2. towards a new(er) car
  3. towards a new computer
  4. save it for a rainy day
Looks like now I don’t need to wonder, just spend it on the thing which by becoming deceased is now top of the list, a new PC.

There are some nice ones from Dell at least, and for only a bit more than the money I’m expecting (5 days worth of overtime after tax is not enough to flee the country with) but we’ll see. We’ll probably end up spending vast amounts more than we wanted to. So it is.

So, no blogging from home for me for a while (is that an issue, I think not) but I do now have the hope of having a PC which is capable of running Civilisation 4.

No comments: