Sunday, January 18, 2009

New fun

On Friday I wasn't having a good day. There is a lot on at work and I'm still very tired. So imagine my joy when OH arrived home and presented me with a copy of Victorain Lace Today, by Jane Sowerby. (He'd ordered it for my birthday, but it didn't arrive in time. So it turned up just when I needed it instead. He has a knack.)

There's so much more to it than just a book of lace patterns too, there's history of lace, specifically lace and the Victorians. The photos are amazing with beautiful backdrops, some of which were taken in Cambridge by the university and some from the same house used as Rosings in the recent Pride and Prejudice movie. All in all, amazingly beautiful!

There are so many patterns in this book that I want to knit! It's so inspirational, and there are stunningly simple and yet gorgeous patterns. I'm really excited about them all! Okay, I have other things to knit before I can cast on, and I'm being pretty good about not starting new things until I have finished some of the ones on the needles, but I do have two skeins of lace-weight yarn in my stash. One was meant to be Muir, but I'm going to do something a bit less taxing/daunting first I think.



Yes. Both of my lace yarns are pink. Did you really expect anything less? I may branch out into some other colours eventually, I do like the green on the cover of the book, don't you?
Of course, lace doesn't have to be knit using lace-weight yarn. Almost all of the patterns can be done in almost any weight yarn. Of course if you do that then you'll end up with something even bigger than planned. Not always an issue, but could be costly in yarn!
Anyway, that's why I've not been posting much. That and de-stashing some mohair (it itches!) on the UKarma board on Ravelry. It's almost all been claimed already which I'm glad of. I still have loads of random yarn that I'll probably not use! (ie, I'm running out of space in my stash and it's being used by yarn I don't necessarily want, as opposed to the lovely stuff I do like)

No comments: